October 16th marked our one year anniversary of purchasing our first home together, and despite feeling like our list of wants and to-dos will never be complete, we’ve done a shit-ton of work to the place. Some of the stuff I have documented here; others, like painting and decorating, I’ve had enough dignity to bypass posting about. Regardless, I thought it would be nice to document everything we’ve done to the house in our first year, to not only record the progress we’ve made but to be able to look back and be thankful about being able to do it all.
Living Room / Hallway
- We moved the garage door from the living room to the laundry to create a mudroom
- Updated the floors after our plumbing disaster
- Painted the space white
- Changed the entry way, dining, and hallway light fixtures
- We added a row of cabinets above the ones the builder installed to maximize space
- We updated cabinet knobs from square to round to obscure unevenly drilled knob holes
- Purchased this Euro-style fridge to maximize standing space in the galley
- Painted the room white to match the living room
- Changed the light fixture from a dark one bulb fixture to this lil ikea baby
- The laundry room is still incomplete with an open wall, but we did move the washer to the back wall, so that we can one day open the space up a bit by removing the water heater closet.
- Added medicine cabinets and 100% more storage space!
- Painted the cheap vanity in the full bath blue and replaced its hardware.
- Painted the bathrooms to match the rest of the house
- Changed the light fixture in the main bath
- This bedroom started off as our joint office, so we pulled the carpet and installed wood flooring to match the living room and hallway.
- Installed floating wall shelves to house our book collection
- Painted it white
- Expanded the closet
- Built an amazing shed
- Built a boss of a deck with an outdoor sink (unfinished but functioning)
- Built a fence between our yard and our two neighbors
- Expanded the garden bed in the front of the house to wrap around the entire front
- Knocked down the dilapidated retaining wall in the front and replaced it with these steel planters
- Removed a bunch of trash trees from the back yard and planted three Texas native under-story trees
- Added garden beds that wrap around the house, our deck, and back fence line